This week my coworkers and I have a Red & Green themed potluck in honor of the holidays. I decided to make red velvet cupcakes since I have never made them from scratch before. I was pretty psyched about this. I found this recipe on Brown Eyed Baker’s blog and tried it out. It was the only recipe that didn’t require weird things like sour cream or cake flour. It also makes EXACTLY 1 dozen cupcakes! No waste! Also, I hate cream cheese frosting, so I substituted it with plain old vanilla buttercream. I bought these cute cupcake wrappers and toppers (you can find them at Meri Meri) at Ross for $4.99! The cupcakes came out super moist and fluffy. I can’t wait to bring them into work tomorrow and show them off!
Cook time: 45 minutes Makes: 12 cupcakes
4 tbsp unsalted butter, at room temperature
¾ cup granulated sugar
2.5 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp red food coloring
½ tsp vanilla extract
½ cup buttermilk
1 cup + 2 tbsp all-purpose flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking soda
1.5 tsp distilled white vinegar
1 cup butter, softened
3 cups powdered sugar
1 tsp milk
1 tsp vanilla
pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat oven at 350 F.
2. Cream your butter and sugar on medium speed with your mixer for 3-4 minutes until nice and fluffy. Next add the egg and mix for about 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and mix for another minute.
3. Add the cocoa powder and mix on low! It is important to use the LOW speed because you will have cocoa dust everywhere if you crank that mixer. Scrape your bowl down and make sure all the cocoa powder is incorporated with the butter. Add the food coloring next and let it go at medium/high speed for 5 minutes. Make sure all the batter is colored.
4. Now add half of your buttermilk to the bowl and mix. Then add half of the flour and mix. Repeat and mix for 1 minute.
5. Stop the mixer and add the salt, baking soda and vinegar. Now mix the batter for 3 minutes on medium speed.
6. Line your cupcake tray and fill each cupcake wrapper 3/4 way up with batter. Bang it around a few times to release any air bubbles and bake for 20-30 minutes until a toothpick (or sharp knife) comes out clean when inserted into the middle of a cupcake. Let them completely cool before frosting, otherwise you’ll have melted frosting everywhere.
7. For the frosting, whip the butter on high for 1 minute until fluffy. Add 1/2 cup of powdered sugar at a time, mixing in between additions, until all 3 cups are mixed in. Add the vanilla and salt and let it whip for 3 more minutes. Fill your piping bag or a large Ziplock bag with a corner cut off and frost your cupcakes however you like! Enjoy!